Marine Managed Areas (MMAs) can provide a refuge from pressures put on the marine ecosystem by humans and benefit the health of coastal and marine ecosystems, thereby improving the sustainability of the resources they supply to humans. Marine Managed Areas can support marine life as well as thriving local communities, and provide visitors with beautiful environments to explore.
Oceanogami provides advise and support on:
- Stakeholder engagement. Identification of key stakeholders and design of a stakeholder engagement strategies appropriated for your MMA process, from a one-off bilateral consultation to ongoing collaborative multisectoral management.
- Social and cultural adaptation. Integration of social and cultural values into local conservation programmes to develop management approaches addressing the multiple dimensions of sustainability.
- Monitoring and evaluation. Scientific support for species and ecosystem monitoring and impact assessment.
- Planning. From site selection to the development of management, implementation and monitoring plans.
- Implementation. Drawing from real-world experience to identify strengths and weaknesses of existing management approaches in order to improve them and make them workable in practice.
- Managers and enforcers. Training and capacity building to improve technical skills (e.g. marine ecology, spatial data analysis and decision support tools, impact assessment & monitoring methods…) and management skills (e.g. stakeholder engagement, process design, strategic management, governance analysis, change management…).
- Communication and outreach. Development of communication strategies and key messages to communicate to different audiences. We can develop communication materials (including audio-visual materials and infographics) to help you promote or communicate about your MMA via different channels, including social media.